Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Dear Friends,

It was a dark and stormy night with my mother lying in a hospital bed.

I arrived shortly after 8 PM to be told that I had just missed 44 of her friends piling into her room at once to sing Christmas carols - her favorite. They had all come for her; and still more to come! And the banker. And the doctor. And the preacher. Friends of years. Friends of months.

I know you would have been there.

Sometimes she could speak, and sometimes she could not. Some could not find it within themselves to go into the room, to see her as she was.

That morning was foggy and overcast - we could not see the cars from her window, but my mother only had eyes for the people in the room.

I asked her, "Are you afraid?"

She shook her head, "No."

And the day cleared up. And the fog rolled back. And the clouds slowly went from the sky. And night fell.

I whispered in her ear how much she meant to me. She put her arms around me for a little while, as if I were still a child.

"I love you."

Her husband, Tom, and I sat for hours, holding her hand.

On December 15th, 2007 at 7:45 PM, with only one cloud in the Texas sky, with the stars so clear above us, with her mother and father, with her husband, with her sister and nephew, with her neice and her daughter and her son, Tamara Hanson stole away into the night.

"I love you all."

I am not afraid.

Alan Shields
Her Loving-but-Difficult Son

PS: A memorial service will be held on Saturday at St. Andrews United Methodist Church (5801 W. Plano Pkwy, Plano, TX 75093). In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Journey of Hope Grief Support Center or Baylor Health Care System Foundation.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

Thank you, Alan

7:53 PM  
Blogger DogBlogger said...

Thank you for telling us, Alan. Your mother was such a joy to know.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Robin Russell said...

The staff of The United Methodist Reporter sends its condolences, Alan, and our gratitude for your mother sharing her brave journey with us and our readers through her Chronic Hope columns.

9:44 AM  
Blogger wenders said...

Alan, this is a lovely tribute. While I didn't know your mother well, she was a bright spot in my mother's life and someone I am proud to have known, if indirectly.

Dana W's Daughter,
Wendy

11:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah W. (for Wonderful) said...

What a blessing it was to share your Mother's journey. Thank you Alan for writing such a beautiful goodbye. God worked mightily through your Mother's life and I'm grateful to have had even a brief touch.

11:09 AM  
Blogger gavin richardson said...

a wonderful farewell alan. my heart breaks for your families loss. prayers for you all in this seasson. shalom, -gavin

9:42 AM  
Blogger Andrew C. Thompson said...

Alan, you offer a moving tribute to your Mom's passing. I am grateful that she shared her journey with us through her blog. Her life displayed great courage and hope. May the grace and peace of Christ be with you and your family during this time.

9:45 AM  
Blogger RichardsonHeights said...

Alan:

Your mother's funeral was without a doubt the most beautiful service I've ever attended. And your eulogy in particular was really wonderful.

Sincerely,
Nathan Beach

7:26 PM  
Blogger TRA said...

I like this information. find mri scan cost and other information on
http://mriscan.blogspot.com

12:40 AM  
Blogger TRA said...

good information this information. find mri scan cost and other information on
http://mriscan.blogspot.com

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home