Sunday, March 26, 2006

Out of My Inbox

WHEN I FIRST ENTERED the workforce my various employers’ chief complaint was always, “Tamara, you must learn to think outside the box.” Well, frankly, I hadn’t a clue what they meant.

TWENTY YEARS LATER, after I had enough experience to know that, in my line of work, there were many means to accomplish an end, I thought I’d moved outside the box in my thinking. I hadn’t. I’d only learned to be flexible.

A FEW YEARS AFTER THAT I realized what most people are talking about when they say “outside the box” is creativity, which is something that can’t be learned. It comes from the Great Creator and must be heard and obeyed.

IF I REMAIN RECEPTIVE to God’s instruction, creative approaches and solutions rain down on me. How do I know I’m not listening, not learning? When I’m absolutely sure I’m right.

SADLY, THIS IS A SIGNAL THAT ONCE AGAIN, I am confused. Being sure I’m right is not the same as really being right.

WHEN I KNOW I’M RIGHT, I remind myself of Jonah. The militant Assyrians at Nineveh were Jonah’s worst enemy, and he found God’s willingness to forgive them repulsive. God was wrong, Jonah was right—and off Jonah went in the opposite direction.

JONAH TOOK A FISHY SIDE TRIP before he finally proceeded to Nineveh, did exactly as he was told (not one iota more), and waited for God to see things his way. Jonah said he’d rather die than serve a God who would not change to suit him. Oh, Jonah. I’m with you. I’ve been there.

MOST OF MY LIFE I’ve said, “This is where I am, Lord. There’s room for you in this inbox, come on in.” Rarely have I been brave enough to say, “You choose the path, Lord, and I’ll follow.”

BUT OFTEN THE ANSWERS I need aren’t in any box, much less my inbox. And when one of those problems without a solution comes up, like illness or pain, I need to be ready to climb out of that inbox as fast as I can, to run down the path yelling for God to wait up. Or like Jonah I may end my story angry with God and preferring to die rather than give up knowing I’m right.

Your blessed! Be a blessing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home