Sunday, November 19, 2006

‘TIS THE SEASON OF EXPECTATIONS . . .

AGAIN I STRUGGLE with my lack of faith—and try not to be ashamed of myself. I’m in good company. Peter, Andrew, Thomas. Their “pre-resurrection” comments are rooted in the same vein of human confusion that I feel right now.

FOR MORE THAN FOUR YEARS I’ve been asking to be cancer free, and that prayer has not yet been answered. That is why today I find myself in danger of lowering my expectations. Part of me is weary of asking for something that doesn’t seem forthcoming.

I’M TEMPTED TO FORGET that I am beloved and worthy. I feel like saying, “Don’t bother Yourself, LORD. I know you’re too busy to fool with me,” even though that would make me wrong on two counts. God isn’t bound by the confines of time. And He’s promised again and again He would never ignore a genuine need.

OF COURSE, I’M GUILTY of the opposite extreme when I look for God to fulfill my unreasonable expectations. Like the teenager who explained to her father that she understood the difference between WANT and NEED. She NEEDED a new Mustang. She WANTED it to be red.

I KNOW GOD IS MORE INTERESTED in who I become than in fulfilling my wish list. And that is hard for me when my wish list is mostly health-related.

BUT, THEN I THINK OF THE TV AD I saw recently. Lance Armstrong’s strong facial features fill the screen. He’s thanking cancer for who he’s become. I’m not quite there, but I do see his point. I am a better person than I was when I was busy taking my health for granted.

SO, MAYBE I SHOULD SET ASIDE my concerns about whether or not my expectations of God are unreasonable—or whether or not I’ve lowered my expectations because of my unbelief.

MAYBE, INSTEAD, I should concentrate on God’s expectations of ME. Hmmm. Now that might be something to really be concerned about.

You’re blessed. Be a blessing!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you can rejoice in the certainity that through all this you have become the avenue of blessing to many others.

7:03 PM  
Blogger DogBlogger said...

Yes, what QP said.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home