Sunday, May 07, 2006

Am I from Mars? Are You?


ONE OF THE HARDEST things about being ill for a long time is a feeling of being isolated. Of being different. Even though I’m not.

I WOULDN’T BE AT ALL SURPRISED to discover how many people I know deal with chronic illness, chronic pain, or some combination of the two. It’s a stiff-upper-lip thing. Chronic sufferers don’t like to be thought of as chronic complainers. Most suffer in silence wishing they could talk to someone who REALLY understands how they feel . . .

WHAT KEEPS THEM from coming out of the chronic illness closet? Here’s the top ten list:

10. Exclamations of how healthy they look.
9. Those who confuse their low-energy state with laziness.
8. Those who want to change the topic to a happier one (now there’s a real conversation stopper).
7. Those who tell their own sob story (as in “that’s enough about you, now let’s talk about me”).
6. Those who tell them what they should or should not be doing.
5. Expressions of pity (yikes!).
4. Those who blame the illness on the sufferer (too late for that!).
3. Those who have remedies and cures (BTW most with a problem are pretty savvy about available alternatives).
2. Those who assume they know what and if the sufferer wants to be prayed for.
AND NUMBER ONE!!!!
1. Those who imply (or worse) that a LACK OF FAITH or THE WRONG ATTITUDE is the reason for the condition. (Keep the smug out of my path please, Lord.)

FOR MY PART I have to remind myself that others have serious problems too. Cancer isn’t the worst thing that can happen.

AND IF MY DISease takes me to a place few go, I can’t remain there. I must stay attentive to those around me. I must not let this disease-induced isolation alienate me.

THE APOSTLE PAUL stressed community. He taught that I can’t be a Christian all by myself.

SO AS MUCH AS I’D LIKE TO at times (review the Top Ten List), I’m not going to try.

You’re blessed. Be a blessing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home