Sunday, June 11, 2006

Stress Buster #2: Making Promises I Can Keep

LIKE A LOT OF PEOPLE, I can do a lot of things. And sometimes that gets me in trouble. Like a lot of people, I like to say yes—and that gets me into even more trouble. I frequently let too many yeses paint me into a stressful corner. If only I could remember that no isn’t a word I should avoid.

I HAVE A FRIEND who is very comfortable with no. When she is asked, she makes it very clear that she will do whatever I ask of her only if I understand that she’ll quit anytime she feels like it. No hard feelings.

WELL, OF COURSE, that is never the answer I’m looking for. I want her to embrace my project as if she’s been waiting years to be asked to do it. But she accepts no part of my unrealistic expectations. She’ll do it until she tires of it or something better comes along. “It’s really not my thing,” she says. No apology. There’ll be no surprises from this lady.

AND I ACCEPT HER HELP, knowing that it may not be for long and knowing the spirit in which it was given means I may be looking for someone else soon. It’s okay. I know to keep my eyes open for someone else who may have a real love for what I need done.

TO MY FRIEND, it’s a business arrangement. As another wise friend of mine would put it: “We’re just dating. We’re not getting married.”

MY FRIEND IS NOT BESIEGED by requests. She hasn’t eliminated personal time from her schedule. Her stress level remains out of the danger zone.

PERHAPS I’M THE ONE WHO SHOULD take a lesson from her . . .

You’re blessed. Be a blessing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home